Friday, December 14, 2012

A Farewell to Butterflies: Red Ball Denver 2012

December 2nd was the fourth annual Red Ball fashion show in Denver, hosted by the Colorado AIDS Project.
The event was successful, raising nearly $30,000 for the cause. This was the second year I participated in the event. My collection was inspired by butterflies. It was the story of a girl obsessed with butterflies and in the end the girl becomes her obsession. I was honored to again work with Twig Salon from Boulder, who created the hair and make-up looks. I became incredibly inspired by classic rock; the stuff you listen to on vinyl. Several of the looks were inspired by 70s icons like Cher, Stevie Nicks, and Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart. One of my favorite looks came to me while at the Aerosmith concert this summer. This collection was a fusion of the light and delicate femininity of the butterfly and the hard edge aesthetic of rock music. Chiffon and leather; Spikes and frills. It's weird because I'm always looking forward to a show being over (so I can finally sleep again), but there is always something a little sad. It's hard finishing a collection and leaving an idea that has consumed your life for six months. But the show is over, so I suppose it's farewell to butterflies.





        Music used on the runway. Just a taste in case you missed the show

1 comment: