Thursday, January 3, 2013

Fashion Voodoo

Now that Red Ball is over I've been working on an idea for a new collection. Most people who know me, know that I am a television addict. Lately my show of choice has been HBO's Treme. Since I've been watching Treme, I can't seem to shake images of Mardi Gras Indians and blues clubs from my mind.
So for this collection I've been exploring my recent fascination with New Orleans to see where it takes me. What's been most inspiring to me right now is Louisiana voodoo. I'm leaning towards this idea of a darker collection. I've got a few ideas here and there, but I'm having a hard time visualizing a full collection or at the very least a concept. I keep toying with this idea of creating a sort of spiritual ceremony, where each look captures different parts of the ceremony. Maybe creating a garment that reflects the voodoo queen, other looks inspired by the followers, and then looks reflecting spirits and voodoo talismans like voodoo dolls. I've been doing some research, but the problem is that while I've been researching voodoo, I doubt those who would view my work would know the references. I have little flashes of what I want in the collection. I know I want a jacket covered in buttons, details that feature leather and grommets, and I want to do something with molded leather. It's just when I try to design something with these ideas, I get confused. But it is not all hopeless! I did manage to do a couple of sketches, and I think I'm close to doing another. These two sketches were inspired by the voodoo queen, the snake spirit, and of course rock n' roll(at this point I can't really help it). I think these two looks would be successful in the context of a voodoo inspired collection.




1 comment:

  1. So far I think you have it spot on Tyne! And the sketches keep them coming cause I feel that maybe if you continue to draw some of your inspirations out, you might have a more clear and solid idea of what you want.

    Also, of course not everyone is going to get what you are trying to come across as far as your references but that's the beauty of fashion. Other people try to interpret your designs and as a designer you try your best to clearly show what you are trying to present. :)

    Can't wait for your next post Tyne!

    ReplyDelete